The Martin Luther King Coalition is made up of Member Organizations whose missions reflect the principles of the late Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
The Martin Luther King Coalition exists to:
- advocate the principles of the late Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- provide an annual Martin Luther King Day Community Celebration where the public can congregate, celebrate, & be inspired
- annually present the Martin Luther King Award to a member of the NH Community who has contributed significantly to the continued efforts to make Martin Luther King’s dream a reality
- advocate the teaching of the principles of the late Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to the youth of New Hampshire
- give youth an opportunity to use that knowledge, and, through participating in the Martin Luther King Arts & Writing Contest, demonstrate & share what those principles mean to them
- provide a Speakers Bureau for schools, colleges, & organizations wishing to present their student body/workforce insight into the many facets of Martin Luther King’s life and work, and its effects on our world today
The Coalition was a very strong supporter of the Martin Luther King Day Committee in their efforts to make the Federal holiday officially observed here in NH. In fact, many Martin Luther King Coalition Member Organizations’ Representatives served on the Martin Luther King Day Committee as well. After a 20 year struggle, the “Live Free or Die” State finally “Let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire!”* via signing into legislation Martin Luther King, Jr. Civil Rights Day in 1999.
* from Martin Luther King’s 1963 “I Have a Dream” speech